Next steps that I was able to complete was to properly design the look & feel of the site and add all the social media plugins that I have been missing out on. Twitter, social bookmarks, etc. seem to work reasonably, and I am hoping to re-attract any traffic I have lost. I have also tried to follow common directions on implementing redirection for the migration using the Redirection plugin, but results seem to be mixed at best. Also, I have started to point the of blog.beuchelt.org address back to blog.beuchelt.com, and that work ok for the base address.
The final steps will be to finalize the redirection problem, and ensure that old uploaded data is actually available on the new site.